cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Should I hike the PCT in 2021

Hi!! Need some advice from fellow hikers/thru-hikers/nature lovers.

Hiking the PCT has been a dream of mine for years and I planned to do it 2020 but had to postpone (financial reasons and, of course, covid-19). I had almost given up on the idea of thru-hiking in 2021, and was looking at the PNT as a good option, but I just saw that the PCTA will issue long-distance permits for 2021 and now I don't know what to do!! Should I still give it a try, even though covid is still very much present and a risk to me and others?? and that I may have to cancel my hike at any time?

(I can't postpone my hike for 2022 because I'm starting a 5-year PhD in September... so it's a bit now or... in 5 years).

Thanks for reading me.

7 Replies

yes

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

A deeply personal decision - only you, with great introspection, can decide....Best wishes!! (and if it were me, I would go for it)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

@jorgevalencia If I were you, I'd do it! This will be your last chance to do the trail for a while, it seems, and it's much easier to prevent the spread of covid when you're on the trail and in the middle of nowhere. I have done several backpacking trips since covid began and have been able to social distance both within my party and with others on the trail. Perhaps you could plan to have supplies dropped to you at various locations and forego visiting the towns yourself, if you are worried about picking up the virus. Just a thought. Both trails are great, though, so either way I'm sure you'll have a fantastic experience. And congrats on the PhD program!

www.brynsharpphotography.com

@hikermor nailed it - only you can decide.

But, if I were in the same position, I'd be thinking that I don't know what will happen five years from now after I am done my PhD.  Maybe I'd be in a position to do the PCT and maybe I wouldn't be. So, adhering to the principle of "I'd rather have memories than dreams", I'd go for it.

I would decide quickly, though. There's a lot of preparation needed if you're going to hit the trail in a couple months.

Good luck!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Thanks everyone for your reply!! I decided to go for it :D, loved the "I'd rather have memories than dreams" mantra. I have created a project to try to do the PCT waste free (or as much as possible). At home I live a plastic free and low waste lifestyle so it seemed only right to try and take the "leave no trace" mantra to another level. In the end, we are part of the ecosystem and everything we do has an impact somewhere in nature. For anyone interested, I'll be documenting this journey on instagram: @wastefreepct  🙂

@jorgevalencia 

This is a great story, thank you for sharing! I am very much looking forward to following your journey vicariously through social media. Are you willing to share more about your waste free life here in the community? Perhaps on our sustainable living board? 

When are you hoping to start your PCT journey? How long are you planning for? Have you done any other long distance thru hikes? What kind of challenges come up when hiking 'waste free'?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm very interested!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

That's exciting! Going to IG to follow you right now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)