cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

WeIght limit in dog backpacks

Hey all you backpackers with furry buddies!  I have a 55 pound border collie, Ben, I call Border Collie on the Mountain.  He hikes to top of any peak and then is ready to find a stick.  I am a veterinarian and have been backpacking with my dog(s) for decades.  Only recently did I start serious longer distances, now up to a week, with Ben.  After a lot of research and lots of opinions, I have concluded that about 15% of body weight is the max for him.  Like people, dogs vary tremendously in fitness, body type and athletic ability.  I would love to hear anyone's personal experiences with ability and willingness of their canine buddy in backpacking weight.  Maybe also state what brand of backpack you use.  I originally used the RuffWear Palisade, but now use the Groundbird roll top pack for a little more capacity.  Dr. Bob

1 Reply

@HikingDVM 

Thanks for posting this! 

I have two dogs, a 7 year old sled dog and a 9 month old lab 'puppy', and we're looking forward to getting them into backpacking this summer. This has been a question I've had on my mind as we start to plan out our trips and gear. I'll be sure to chime in when we've got them outfitted. 

Appreciate the advice!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes