cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Membership now as great as the outdoors!
Already a member? Take a look at the Co-op Members section of the community.
Ready to join? Explore all of the benefits here.

Repurpose chalk bags as dog treat pouches!

So I'm currently working on my dog's recall and other skills to prepare him for hiking and camping trips. To save money, I cleaned and repurposed an extra climbing chalk bag that works just as well (if not better) than the treat pouches you get at the pet store.

Treats handy at all times. In dog training, it's important to reinforce good behavior as soon as it happens (within 2 seconds, according to dog behaviorists who are way smarter than me). Chalk bags are designed to be worn on your body, hands free, which is perfect. Like dog treat pouches, they can be used with a chalk bag belt or clipped on a belt loop with a carabiner.

Cinch closure. Perfect for keeping the treats in when you're on the move. And if you have a high-value treat like chicken pieces, it also helps keep the scent in so your dog is less distracted when training or walking. Not all chalk bags (or dog treat pouches for that matter) have cinch closures, but it's a real nice feature to have.

Fun bonus: fellow climbers will recognize your genius! I don't live in a city full of climbers so it's always awesome to casually run into one on the street over a silly pouch 😆

I probably wouldn't buy a new chalk bag to use for dog treats, unless you find a cheap one. The point is really to reuse stuff that might otherwise be collecting dust or end up in a landfill 🙂 Many climbing gyms will have an annual clean-up of lost & found items, where you can probably give a perfectly good chalk bag a second life for cheap!

Labels (2)
3 Replies

Once upon a time, before climbing gyms were invented, technical rock climbing was an outdoor sport.  Chalk was rarely, if ever, used, much less bags to hold the stuff.

Today, climbing gyms have brought some of the pleasure of technical climbing to barren, flat wastelands like Dallas.  That is probably a good thing.

As a kid, I lived (?) in Dallas, doing my first rock scrambling in the shale cliffs along Turtle Creek, before venturing to better places....

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Hi tnguyen,

That is a very resourceful idea for dog training.

Thanks for the tip!

Besides the training method you describe, I found the Garmin Sport Pro Training Collar beneficial and versatile for distance training and health hazard (Rattlesnake, Javelina, Coyote & Bobcat) avoidance. 

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/140332

Wow, that’s some fancy equipment! Thanks for sharing. I had no idea these existed, but if any company does it well I guess it would be Garmin!