cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

How to carry water for my dog on runs

Hi! I was wondering if anyone had tips on what the best way is to carry water for my dog on trail runs? She's a hound mix that's about 45lbs. We run for a about 1 or 2 hours. As it's getting hotter I know she needs water and my old waist belt is getting too wore out. Any hydration belts, packs, or vests anyone recommends?

0 Likes
4 Replies

Hi @Julia_Rose - Thanks for reaching out!

We're hopeful some fellow community members will weigh in here with their suggestions. @sgreenler@REI-MollyM@JennyinAlaska@kaleigh@athomas - do y'all have any tips about carrying water for your dog while out on runs? 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

When I ran with our dog, she always carried saddlebags with water and  whatevr else might be appropriate.  She lovd to run and became very excited when i would haul out her bags. I typically had the water in a couple of sport drink bottles and a bowl, all nicely balanced.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

I have for my dogs a dog backpack from ruffwear that came with collapsible water bottles in each pocket so one on each side we never used it running but have used it quite a bit hiking! 

0 Likes

I have the Osprey Dyna hydration pack with the 1.5L bladder(https://www.rei.com/product/141515/osprey-dyna-15-hydration-vest-womens-15-liters). It was pretty easy to train my pup (45lb Vizsla) to drink when I squeeze the bite valve for him. Unless we are out for a really long run it has had plenty of water for the both of us.

0 Likes