cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Cat-venturing

Although I love dogs, living alone in an apartment (these days being an exception) doesn't lend itself to being a good caretaker for a dog.  So my current furry companion is a cat named Amelia.  

I've seen YouTube videos before of "adventure cats."  I know it sounds out-there, but I'd just just love to take my cat out on a walk & perhaps a mild hike during the summer months.  Two reasons: (1) because why not?, and (2) I think she deserves some fun in the sun too.  I don't want a pet stroller to be my only option for this . . . 

Has anybody tried to do this before?  Any suggestions on *good* harnesses?  Gear?  Tips/tricks?  Thank you in advance!!!

Snapchat-1478699672.jpg

--
Silvia
Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
5 Replies

@chip88angel @I haven’t done any hiking with cat but I do love camping with my cats!

They love spending time outside and smelling the sweet mountain air! I love the warmth they provide. This photo three years old but I’m loving reliving the memories!

32B7743D-58EA-4788-91D5-4683D5927BDE.jpeg

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Nice! Dave, do you/have you used any particular harnesses with the cats?

--
Silvia
Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

@chip88angel No, we don’t. We limit them to our tent and the car.

I would love to know some suggestions!

Adventure cats unite!

0 Likes

@chip88angel 

I don't know if you're on Instagram or not, but if you are you should check out Henry + Baloo, a adventure dog and adventure cat duo out of Colorado. Baloo, the cat, has a harness that he wears while they're out on their adventures. They don't specify which model it is, but it will certainly give you some inspiration!

If you haven't already, I would suggest exploring the Adventure Cats website (https://www.adventurecats.org/). They have a lot of great information on gear, safety, stories, and other areas you might want to explore before taking your cat on adventures.