cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Backpacking with a dog - Ruffwear Palisades Dog Pack Review

I purchased the Ruffwear Palisades Dog Back for my most recent trip in the Eastern Sierras a few weeks ago. My dog is a Husky/American Stafford Terrier/ German Shepherd mix, roughly 70lbs. Although she is very active this was her first trip at altitude and she crushed it while holding about 5lbs of weight  (it’s recommended to start with only 10-12% of their body weight) mainly consisting of a few of my outer layers and an extra lead/collar. She did end up tearing up the side of the pack from snagging on some rocks but the overall quality is great and it held up well! Only downside is it ended up chaffing her chest and underarms as well as her belly which could very well be due to my not fitting it to her correctly. It was definitely worth the purchase and she was able to bounce around without noticing it was even on! 

CE591809-F827-4C78-AB7D-478BF75A5EDA.jpeg

F62889E4-9E66-4021-9A2D-D4B026D2E92A.jpeg

73A8DBEC-C3FF-4E93-AA89-8745F52E9997.jpeg

1 Reply

Looks like you and I and our dogs have the same packs! Lol. What a cute pup and great pictures! Thanks for the review. This actually helped push me to drop the money on this pack.

We just started training with it this week and it's working really well for my German Shepherd too. A little pricey but worth it. I'm a huge fan of the fact that you can take off the saddlebags but leave the vest on, making it easier to see them in the dense woods, or allowing them to come loose if they get caught (that actually happened to my friend's dog with the same pack). Even when she shakes, the bags stay perfectly balanced and she doesn't seem to mind wearing it at all.

Here's to many more adventures with your pup!

0 Likes