cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

advice for Mt. Washington with a dog

We are going to hike Mt. Washington with our 70lb schnauzer. 

Any advice? 

He often goes on long walks, he runs with me (up to 5 miles) and already completed few shorter hikes on and around NY sections of the AT. 

0 Likes
2 Replies

@Kinga 

Thanks for reaching out!

Sounds like a great trip! While I've never hiked Mt. Washington, I have traveled pretty extensively in the backcountry with my dog, Hadley (a ~75lb Alaskan Husky), and there are some considerations with dogs on the trail that apply regardless of which trail you're on. Additionally, we encourage you to check out this Expert Advice article, Hiking or Backpacking with Your Dog.

• Accessibility to water. Staying hydrated is critical to a dog's ability to stay cool, particularly when engaging in high intensity activities like long hikes. If your hike is near water (streams, ponds, lakes, etc.) then your dog will likely do well if given the opportunity to drink often. If your trail doesn't have water access (or the water sources are sketchy) you'll want to make sure you carry plenty of water and stop often to let your dog drink.
  • While you hope to never need it, you'll want to think about a first aid kit for your dog. I carry gauze, tape, antibacterial ointment, dog boots, moleskin, and some pain relievers for dogs. I talked with my vet about what was appropriate for my dog.
  • I also carry a harness that would enable me to carry Hadley out of the backcountry if necessary. Although that would be an unpleasant trip for both of us, I want to make sure that I am ready for anything.

The most important thing is that you know your dog the best and are in the position of knowing the limits of their abilities. You want to keep a close eye on them when you're on the trail and look for any abnormal behaviors. Every time we take a break on the trail I check Hadley's paws for hot spots and her nose and tongue to make sure they're moist and cool. A trip in the backcountry with your dog can be an amazing experience, hopefully this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

I have hiked up Mt Washington (tuckerman’s ravine), the only thing I have to say is… please pick up after your dog and don’t leave the bag on the side of the trail like I just witnessed in bridger wilderness Wyoming…unbelievable 

good luck and have fun!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes