cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

What's up with the sexism in the kids' shorts?

I thought REI would be a convenient place to start looking because my daughter would like some cargo shorts with pockets.  She loves to hike and camp and just generally do things outdoors, and she sees her parents wearing shorts like this.  Unfortunately, for kids they are only available in boys' styles.  While there are girls' shorts with pockets, there are no longer shorts with the closeable pockets like there are for boys.  I can't blame this on the suppliers because of the 2 options for the boys, one is the REI Sahara.

4 Replies

My nieces' wear the same boy style as my boys for all the good pockets, the possible downside being they are a usually a little longer and usually a little looser.  If that wouldn't bother your daughter, then maybe that works for the short term (not a pun)?  Perhaps mores styles are in the works for girls, I am sure REI will respond.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Hi @LetitiaP - Thanks for reaching out. One of the reasons we are most excited about this community is the chance to hear feedback directly from our customers. We hear your frustration and apologize for not having comparable pockets on this year’s boy’s and girl’s co-op shorts.

@Diesseldorf's suggestion is a good one. If your daughter is looking for cargo pockets specifically, the boy’s Sahara shorts might work well for her. While the front pockets on girl’s version do not close, they are designed to be intentionally roomy, whereas the front pockets on the boy’s shorts are smaller. Hopefully one of these styles will work for what your daughter is planning to carry while playing, hiking, and camping. 

We have passed your feedback along to our buyers and REI designers. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us. 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Thank you for bringing this topic up!  My daughter (8 yo) is long and lanky and the boys shorts certainly do not fit her.  

0 Likes

My kids are also long and lanky, so I feel your pain there.  Sometimes we use a size smaller, but then the inseam is shorter, or use a synch belt.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes