cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
REI is actively reviewing its policies and procedures per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's new guidance for COVID-19.
As we have since the start of the pandemic, we’ll continue to prioritize the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities.

Family Camp and Tenting: the best of both worlds

If you are looking for your first camping adventure with little ones I highly suggest attending a Family Camp. There are many throughout the country, but the one we attended in Vermont was a perfect combination of "roughing it" (we stayed in our own tent at the edge of a field/forest) and the easiest vacation ever!

There was separate programming for kids (fun, outside time) and adults (art, music, yoga) in the morning and family-focused activities (swimming, arts and crafts) in the afternoons and evenings. The best part was that I didn't need to think about food or cleaning or planning anything. All we had to do was opt in (or not!) to the activities that were already happening - which made staying in a tent super easy because we literally just slept there.

The name of the camp I attended was Camp Common Ground and they are welcoming to all types of families (we even saw lots of grandparents there!)   My kids can't wait to go back.

Labels (1)
2 Replies

@VermontVoyageur thanks so much for sharing this suggestion! I grew up on the East Coast and went to a sleep-away camp every summer for several years - although it wasn't a family camp, I have a ton of great memories from all of the time outdoors!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Thanks for sharing this suggestion.
Wish you a happy journey

0 Likes