cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
REI is actively reviewing its policies and procedures per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's new guidance for COVID-19.
As we have since the start of the pandemic, we’ll continue to prioritize the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities.

Re: child sleeping bag for High altitude Colorado

My 6 yr old grandson had the audacity to outgrow his backpacking sleeping bag. He is currently 49" tall & 44 lbs.  This Christmas present needs to be sized for next summer (growth) along with the warmth factor being able to handle his backpack trips to the high (cold) country in Colorado's Rocky Mountains.  My 1st issue is having trouble just identifying the correct sizing but thinking that a bag for a 5 footer might be good and secondly would like to find a warmth factor of 20 degrees.  Suggestions please?

Thanks & stay healthy

0 Likes
3 Replies

Hi @MKM - Thanks for reaching out! We love hearing that your grandson has some plans for the Rocky Mountain backcountry.

There has been a heightened demand for youth sleeping bags this year, which has led to them selling out quickly when they are in stock. Unfortunately, we are not expecting to receive additional inventory of kid’s sleeping bags rated to 20 degrees until February.

If there is some leeway in the 20 degree rating, the Co-op Kindercone 25 is a great bag with an adjustable length so it can grow with him. Women’s sleeping bags in size small are also often a similar length to many of the kids' models. In that category, we suggest taking a look at the Co-op Zephyr 20 or Kelty Cosmic 20.

All three of these sleeping bags should be able to keep up with your grandson’s growth for years to come. Let us know if you have any further questions and we'd be happy to help!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@MKMif you are looking for a bag that keeps you warm at 20F, I highly recommend a bag with a much lower rating, say...10-15F.  Else, be prepared for wearing lots of layering in the bag, including a hat.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Thank you.  I took advice from both responses and bought a women's bag with lower EN rating.

Thanks for the input................Stay safe out there.