cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Advanced tips for car camping with toddlers?

Beyond the basics (https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/camping-kids.html) what are your advanced tips for camping wtih a toddler? Foods? Activities? Gear preparation?

0 Likes
1 Reply

My kids are now 8 and 10, but I remember camping with them at toddler age.  You have to pack a lot, but I remember a few easy things that were hits.  Bubbles are fun for any age!  Also lots of snacks and some that are more appealing when they need an extra encouragement.  Glow sticks are also fun, if they arent in the "stick everything in their mouth stage".  I got them both a headlamp, toddlers like to do everything themselves and having their own headlamp was a way they can feel included, even though they most likely won't wear it on their head.  There are solar lanterns that are great too (Luci brand is one).  Then you dont have to worry about batteries. Depending on the age you can even get them a little fanny pack or small backpack and let them carry their own snacks.  That was a hit for my girls.  Also don't plan too much because things always change or someone may need a nap.  And bring a change of clothes and extra wipes in your pack! Never know when you need a bathroom and won't have one. Good luck.  It is so fun to see them see things for the first time (like a butterfly or stars in the sky).  Searching for bugs is always a good one too.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.