cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

the best part

What is the best part of getting outside with your kids for you? How about for your kids?
At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
5 Replies

I think the best part of getting outside with my girls is seeing their faces light up with they fall in love with new sports and new places. This past weekend, they climbed outside in the City of Rocks and Castle Rock for the first time. As they rapped down from each of their first accents, they were glowing with confidence and excitement. Priceless.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

The best part of getting outside with my family is seeing my kiddos enjoy the things that bring my husband and I so much joy.  It further solidifies our familial bond to spend time together outside, doing something that we all love.

My daughter (2.5 yrs old) has recently started gaining interest in walking herself on trails instead of riding in the backpack carrier. On our last hike, she was trying to pass through by using a large rock on the side of a trail since the middle of the trail was muddy. She fell off and got muddy. She got up and said "I want to do it again, and this time not fall." So she got up, tried to cross again using the rock and was successful. She was so proud of herself! It's the first time I've seen such perserverance from her. One of my favorite outdoor moments ever. 

The best part of getting outside with my son is the connection that we inevitably find when we're outdoors. Some of our best conversations have happened on the trail or when we're on a bike ride together. I think this connection is meaningful to him too. In day to day life, it's easy to get distracted and I hope that our time together outdoors will be amongst his strongest childhood memories. I'm a better parent outdoors.

@Lauren @SueBee3 @cmw1130 @REI-MichelleW This is all awesome to hear! A great part of getting outside with kids is the little indelible memories it makes for all those involved, and seeing them grow, little by little.  Keep sharing those great adventures with us.