cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Recommendation for a Wearable camera vest and a Good Camera

Im looking to purchase a camera or a gopro---not sure which I wanna do. I want something wearable and handsfree- that I can use during my hikes!! I usually just use my phone but my battery doesn't last.

0 Likes
6 Replies

Wearable is the key term. Most regular cameras don't function well while being worn.  GoPro10 is good but remember that cold weather saps batteries and you'll need to carry extra. 

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

I love my gopro, as a quick use camera, but @Gary2  isn't kidding about cold weather zapping the batteries, at least the second market ones.

Just got back from a weekend trip, nights only dropped to low 30's, but wow hard to keep the batteries going.

that said, the videos in 4k are fantastic and so easy to use, highly recommended.

I carry mine for selfies while walking and for rainy times, else I use my sony A6500, the lens is course much superior.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

Thank you both for the suggestions! I think ill spend the money on the GOPro instead of going after market.

I know i've seen a couple hikers doing the AT in 2021 that had to use three batteries to cover btwn town visits for recharging of Anker/Batteries... Just FYI on how many you may need depending on the amount of use. 

0 Likes

Well, a GoPro is a camera. It’s just a particular type of camera that’s made for using with hands free and to capture action. If you’re looking for that, then one of the GoPro hero cameras is probably the way to go.

If you’re looking for a way to carry a DSLR or mirrorless or bridge camera around, then there are harnesses and vests for that purpose, but I have not found one I like. So far the best solution I’ve found is the Peak Design Camera Clip, which is sold at REI. I find it difficult to  attach to my backpack and I do have to be wearing a backpack to use it. But once it’s on, it works pretty well. I should probably buy more of them so as to not need to move it from one backpack to another. 

0 Likes

I know that Darwin has youtubes where he shows what he uses for cameras like that...

0 Likes