cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Milky Way and night sky photography

Thought I'd share today's FB post..so after working on the wyoming milkyway photos, I went back to my utah bolder mail trail pix may 2018 where we were 'cowboy' camping (no tent), I woke up and saw the stars (JUST WOW!) so I just placed my my camera on my pack and pointed it up. very poor exposures, you can see the star trails, but I found this one and did a re-look, and after some work this morning, was able to recover this! Boy was I surprised!

here's what I thought I hadhere's what I thought I hadthis is what I actually hadthis is what I actually had

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
10 Replies

this is from wyoming July 2021, 1am (38F, burrr) sony A6500, post production in lightroom, photoshop elements, and topaz denoise ai (what I've been working on this week)

DSC04844 combo lake-Edit-DeNoiseAI-clear reduced.jpg

@Philreedshikes 

WOW! These look great! Thanks for sharing!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@Philreedshikes those are great! A friend of mine got into astral photography a few years and it's just such a beautiful genre. I now (almost) regret that my time behind the lens was almost exclusively inside the studio. Back then, I said "I'll never be the guy who humps his gear for miles into nature to take photographs".

LOL, if I only knew then.

Keep posting those!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

@Dad_Aint_Hip  thanks!  still learning...and it gives me something to do in between meals and walking, lol

0 Likes

@Philreedshikes  And it gives you a whole new area of gear to start obsessing over and buying!

As much as people talk about always buying outdoor gear, it doesn't come close to photography. When I was shooting professionally, GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) was almost unchecked. At least with hiking, the impulse purchases are usually under $100. Photography is more like "Taking out a fourth mortgage makes total sense because I love that new lens!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Those pictures are amazing! Nowhere in my are is there a place without ambient light, so that would be near impossible here...

Kyle M | https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtrM2UkJKMvKv3qyR9WFv7w
Have a Great Day, and make your best adventure yet.

@KyleMTheBoyScoutthanks! same situation here in coastal VA - no night horizon (unless you're on a boat, maybe), that's why I feel very fortunate to get out west every once and a while!

this is what that area looks like in the day light

DSC08309.JPG

https://youtu.be/scL-Vvg8dwY

BACKPACKING GRAND STAIRCASE ESCALANTE BOULDER MAIL TRAIL/ESCALANTE RIVER (TRAIL) EAST END WITH ARCHES

Here's one from Assateague Island in Maryland:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/earthshtos-ferrari/50202761886/in/album-72157715252044278/lightbox/

Vincent Ferrari Photography