cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Summer's almost over...

We're almost there! We've almost survived another Florida summer! Admit it, even if you love warm weather, July and August in Florida can be a bit much!  And of course up here in north Florida, winter can range from beautiful and 80 degrees to wet, miserable and in the 40s! But, September and October tend to be pretty much perfect for all things outdoors. So, who's planning what for the Fall?

Labels (1)
8 Replies

September and October are usually excellent months nearly everywhere, certainly this is true for Arizona and California.  I hope to get out to  Channel Islands National Park and do some paleontological work - lot of hiking, hopefully some digging, and maybe a bit of technical rope....

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

@hikermor Paleontology in a national park... Is that with a volunteer group of some kind?

0 Likes

Summer may almost over but now the good stuff comes, winter camping, peaceful, alone time, looking forward to it. Camping, hunting, snow shoeing, ice fishing. 

0 Likes

@DaveBaldwin - Good question!! Officially, I will be working as a volunteer with a local museum with valid permits, etc.  The items, if any, collected will be part of he NPS collection, which is curated at this same museum.

I was on staff as park Archaeologist for fifteen years until retirement.  Old habits die hard....

0 Likes

40s is miserable?  That's shorts weather!  Fall usually involves more hikes and camping as the daily high heat index drops out of the miserable lower 80s and into the 60s/70s 😀

0 Likes

It's not usually the temperature that makes winters miserable around here... it's the gusty winds and driving rain. Not every day, of course, but you don't want to be out in a nor'Easter!

0 Likes

I'm waiting for the crazy heat to somewhat subside, the wildfires to be at least 70% contained (Dixie, Tamarack, etc.), and the smoke/unhealthy air quality to get back into a proper healthy level.  Then (!), I can do my first bike-packing trip hopefully before Winter's onset.  Currently jonseing to ride but can't due to all the fires here in the West; driving me nuts..!

0 Likes

343CB3FF-9844-4DA4-860C-4B8DEF22E2D4.jpeg

“Dry Fly” Fishing in our local desert washes 😉

0 Likes
Join the community
Other boards in this category