cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Kayak Launch Spots

Hi All

Does anyone know of any good free launch spots for kayaks on Long Island?  Currently living In Lindenhurst and usually go out by Timber Point in East Islip

0 Likes
5 Replies

Check this web site out for Launch Locations https://paddling.com/learn/canoeing-kayaking-in-new-york-city/ and other paddling information.

across from the "smithton Bull" is a spot where you can park, and drop in, it takes you into the nissequogue and you paddle under jericho turnpike (tide timing is kinda important)

East Islip Mariner is another place

I also believe, you can drop in (although I haven't personnaly done this one) behind

The Purple Elephant - 81B Fort Salonga Road W, Northport, NY 11768

Plus ... up in Kings Park, the former Psych center, you can drop in - I did it once

Hecksher State Park is another

0 Likes

Really? They let you drop in by the pysch center?  Figured the police would be all over that

@cineshooter wrote:

across from the "smithton Bull" is a spot where you can park, and drop in, it takes you into the nissequogue and you paddle under jericho turnpike (tide timing is kinda important)

East Islip Mariner is another place

I also believe, you can drop in (although I haven't personnaly done this one) behind

The Purple Elephant - 81B Fort Salonga Road W, Northport, NY 11768

Plus ... up in Kings Park, the former Psych center, you can drop in - I did it once

Hecksher State Park is another

0 Likes

I have enjoyed some nice trips in the Back Bay putting in from Heckscher State Park..

aka "Boonerelli"

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Check out the "Go Paddling" app, it's loaded with over 25,000 paddling locations for kayaking, canoeing, and stand up paddling, Go Paddling (formerly Launch Sites) provides an easy way to find a great place to paddle nearly anywhere. Whether you have a kayak, canoe or paddleboard (SUP) you can find a place to get on the water with this app.