cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Winter drive up camping North Carolina

Looking for some recommendations on winter drive up camping spots in North Carolina this December.  Areas I am considering are Bristol Camp at Fires Creek Recreation Area, South Mountains State park, and Ammon Branch, Nantahala.  Any suggestions or observations would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Reply

Hi @KitCarson347! Out of the 3 options you're looking in to I would recommend South Mountains State Park (Ammon Branch would be my second). There are tons of outdoor opportunities around there-hiking trails, mountain biking, great streams. During the winter you may want to call the office ahead of time and make sure the bathrooms are open (828-433-4772). Alot of areas closer to the mountains will close all restroom facilities in the winter, so you'll just have to plan for that! Here's a cool article on the top picks for fall and winter camping in NC, Top Picks for NC Fall/Winter Camping. Otherwise, the Linville Gorge area is a great option! There are a few scattered campsites along FR 210 or Kistler Memorial Highway. Beautiful hiking and rock climbing in the area. Your pick! I think you have some great options. Happy adventuring!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes