cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

through-hiking in the Olympic National Park

I am planning a throughhike in the Olympic Mts and would like to hear tips, favorite routes, or favorite camps to stay in. My initial interest in is hiking from north end to south end--Elwha and Quinault drainages. What do you who have done some through hiking and loop hiking in Olympic National Park have to recommend?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies

I have not been yet myself, but I hear very good things regarding the Enchanted Valley in the southern end. I am jealous of your venture!

0 Likes

How exciting! I just hiked ~50 miles around Olympic a few weeks ago and it is gorgeous--you're in for a treat! We didn't do any throughhikes, but we did do the Seven Lakes Basin loop hike--if you decide not to do the through hike, I'd highly recommend this one. Go counterclockwise, stop for a night at Deer Lake and another at Love Lake, that will give you tons of time to explore the surrounding lakes and gorgeous views around both camping areas!

Hiking from Elwha should be nice; after hiking to Hurricane Ridge we took part of a side trail that goes down to Elwha for 6 miles (only went a mile or so). It was off the beaten path and beautiful. Hopefully some folks will be able to provide input on trail conditions since there aren't many recent AllTrails reviews for you to work with. 

If you have time, I recommend getting out to the ocean part of the park for at least one overnight. We had a great low tide to explore the sea stacks, but were jealous of all the folks who enjoyed a quiet night tenting right on the beach. Hope you have a terrific time!

0 Likes