cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Redwoods National Park Hiking

My wife and I will be celebrating our anniversary in October with a trip to Redwoods National Park. Anyone have any advice about hiking trails in or near the park? We're generally in the market for quiet time in the trees, in about the 3-6 mile range. We're going to be out there for most of a week, so have time to explore several options. 

Thanks for any tips based on your experiences.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies

Freind and I went on a really short in and out backpack trip there. It couldn't have been more than 5 miles in. Well the site we stayed was an enourmous  dry riverbed with a stream about 10 ft across in the middle. I know, "Sleeping on loose rock, sounds awesome."

It was kind of odd at first but it was pretty cool. There wasn't any fire ban there back in the mid-2000s so we made a huge fire without any worries of sparks because we were 100 yards from either shore surround by rocks. It was a memorable experience. Enourmous trees to either side of us but a huge opening to the stars above. I'd recommend it.

0 Likes

I went on this hike not that long ago and really enjoyed it. You get the redwoods and can hike all the way down to the ocean and check out the surf and tide pools perhaps if the tides are in your favor. It's not very long but you do get a decent amount of elevation to call it a hike and not a stroll in the park.

The Damnation Creek Trail in Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park.

http://www.redwoodhikes.com/DelNorte/Damnation.html

0 Likes

I took a month long road trip down the West Coast last summer. One of my favorite stops was Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park! I loved wandering through the giant trees there. I did a 4 mile hike called Prairie Creek Loop. The visitor center there has some amazing volunteers who had suggested the hike. They also have free maps and some fun exhibits you can take a look at it. Hope you have a great trip!

Big Tree Sign in Redwood National Park, CABig Tree Sign in Redwood National Park, CA

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes