cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Favorite Glacier Backpacking Trails?

We're looking to do a 2-3 night backcountry trip in Glacier this August. Any recommendations for the best trails/campsites? 

Thanks friends!

0 Likes
10 Replies

you might check out hike 7:34 I think that's what is handle is online use hiked all the stuff in Glacier and has a lot of information on the different trips. I lost out on a permit last year and didn't get through the process this year I'm still waiting I want to go in at Bowman up to hole in the wall and across to the high line. I'm going to sound dumb on this next part for the life of me I can't think of the name but make it down southwest corner near the Indian reservation there's a loop Pike it also sounds great.

0 Likes

Hi @Daxigait - Thanks for sharing that resource with us!

I just looked it up at Hike 734 does have a ton of information about backpacking in Glacier National Park. That page will be great to pass along if others come to the community looking for similar information. @bearbait, hopefully you are able to find some good recommendations there too!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

We did the gorgeous North Fork section.  It was a beautiful and challenging hike.  It's more than 2-3 days however.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Found Myself Outside
0 Likes

I just checked NPS.gov/glac.  Backcountry permit requests were due on 17-Mar-2021 and they received twice the number of applications as normal, almost 4000.  You will have to hope for a walk-up permit so you might be stuck with choosing from what's available which might not be much if any at all.  I'd suggest calling Glacier and see what they have to say.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Found Myself Outside
0 Likes

the worst part is they didn't give priority to those of us who had permits last year so I had to apply and then go in the lottery and ended up like 3,200 deep so he was to say maybe next year. I can't afford to fly in there and pay the outrageous amount to rent a car on the hope there might be a walk up that will work

0 Likes

Give the park a call and see if they can give you an idea of what's going to be available if any.  It doesn't hurt to ask.

Found Myself Outside
0 Likes

There is an implicit assumption that "most popular" equals"best" - for everyone!! My experience says that is not necessarily true.  There are many miles of trails in less popular parks, Forest Service wilderness areas, state parks, etc.  that can provide memorable experiences.  

Just break away from the stampeding herd and hike your own hike....

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

That is what we are going in September @hikermor .  We are going to North Cascades for 11 days and backpacking 5.  Permits were easy to get with lots of flexibility in what you were asking for.  From what I've seen, it's going to be great.  But then again, we've never been disappointed with a National Park.

@Daxigait, I'd head @hikermor 's advise and try again for Glacier next year.  It took us at least two tries to get our Glacier permits and that was several years ago, but the wait was well worth it!

Found Myself Outside
0 Likes

September and even October are fabulous time to visit many parks.  Usually most facilities are still open, and the crowds have ebbed.   The weather is usually more settled, as well.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes