cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Fatalities in National Parks

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/experience/america/national-parks/2021/06/15/deadliest-nationa...

Thoughtful article on fatalities within Parks, particularly the various causes of deaths, which i suspect mirrors the profile for outdoor recreational deaths in general.

Drowning is the number one cause (no surprise) followed by vehicle accidents, and falls.  Wildlife fatalities are at the bottom of the list.

This accords with my personal experience in southern Arizona, where drowning and falls were the most common causes.  It is surprisingly easy to drown in the desert - flash floods.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
8 Replies

Lousy link.  Apologies, my bad.

If you go to the link and scroll down to the Travel section, the article will appear....

0 Likes

Nope, link not taking you to anything with that article.  Just an error page with changing headlines...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Found Myself Outside
0 Likes

I googled and found it but it looks like the link might be the same:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/experience/america/national-parks/2021/06/15/deadliest-nationa...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Found Myself Outside

But it seems to work

Found Myself Outside
0 Likes

Can you believe North Cascades is at the top of the list?  We're going to North Cascades in September!  It's going to be great!  The least visited National Park!

Found Myself Outside
0 Likes

I wondered about that.  Low visitation so there must be some sort of incident that got the park that distinction.  Does anyone know more???

They took the number of deaths in each park over a defined time period and then normalized to 10 million visits.  And North Cascades came out on top. Almost 6 times greater than the next largest number at Denali.  Thinking is it's due to the remoteness of the wilderness, the lack of roads, and the few visitors means harder to get help. That's according to the article anyway.  

Found Myself Outside
0 Likes

The saying is, "There are lies ,damned lies, and statistics"  They counted a period of years ending in 2018, and Channel Islands NP got a fatality rate of over 31 fatalities per 10 million visits.  Thus a horrendous event, the burning of the dive boat, Conception, was excluded.  That was 34 fatalities right there.

I imagine if that incident were included, North Cascades would be challenged.  Annual visitation for CINP is around 250,000

0 Likes