cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Can anyone help with Grand Canyon Rim to Rim info?

ok i,ve done rim to rim about ten years.  I would like to do Rim to rim to rim this year.  About 43 miles a 10,500 up in one day,  has anyone done.  

any help would be great.

thanks Sam

Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies

Hi @SammyD .  My boyfriend and I are doing rim-to-rim, north to south, the first week of June.  It took a few tries to get permits, but we finally did.  We are leaving our car at the south rim, taking the shuttle around, spending the night at the backpacker camp, then heading down the next day.  What kind of help do you need?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Found Myself Outside
0 Likes

Is the shuttle going to run this year?  I had a permit for Sept. 2020, but the shuttle didn’t run because Hwy. 64 was closed due to COVID.  It is still closed according to the NPS website.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

According to the website for the shuttle service, its running starting 15 May.  Its running at a lower capacity of passengers but more vans are added as needed.  It runs on a schedule from 15 May to some date in the fall and then runs only on a will call basis.  On the GrCa NPS website there is a link to the shuttle page.  Check that out.  There is a phone number there you can call as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Found Myself Outside
0 Likes

That’s great that they’re running this year!  Have a great time.  Since I had to cancel last year, I’ll try again for September or October.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

That’s a long day even without the elevation changes!  Why not consider one night at cottonwood?

even so, if you’re heart is set on 24hrs, I’d advise shoulder season temps and the bright angel trail, and a 12 am-ish start 

good luck!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Get in communicationa with the "Trans-Canyon Shuttle" to send yourself resupply for on your middle-section rim rest (the rim you are planning on not starting and finishing of). You can also use U.S. Postal mail, but read guidelines for general deluvery and follow directives, because the U.S. has been losing it's "General Delivery" program from mal-use?  You can also spend a lot of money in the concessions, or use the hospitality industry as a checkpoint.  That aspect is private-sector and abiding by their policies is also essential. Non-demand obligation to provide business prospect rests on the shoulders of the recipients and is the only way such allowances are kept viable. (And, often enough, it is not viable due to overuse, misuse, and disuse; so, don't make expectation and any of your better anticipation would follow through).

0 Likes

I love that shuttlebus

0 Likes