cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Hiking: My new Passion

Finally got my REI membership after I purchased my new Oboz boots. I love hiking in various spots in the San Fernando Valley, CA (relocated here in ‘17). I’m no hiking Pro (I’m a novice), but I’m a huge fan of the gorgeous SoCal vistas that I get to see while on great trails. I welcome suggested hiking routes. 

2 Replies

@ejkuranz 

Welcome to the community! Thank you for coming here to share your new passion with us! I was just telling @nathanu how much I appreciated his photos and trip reports from his hikes. Please feel free to share your experiences and photos with us here in the community. Do you have a favorite trail in your area? 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Welcome, fellow SoCaler (@ejkuranz)! I hike and lead hikes in SoCal, often in the Santa Monica Mountains. Once the pandemic lifts there are numerous groups out there for any interest. Until then, AllTrails is a great free app with filters to sort towards your interests. Not knowing your comfort zone, let me provide some ideas (mileage, 1-10 difficulty level): Echo Mountain (5, L6), Inspiration Point (10, L7), Garapito Loop (8, L7) & others from Marvin Braude Rec Area, numerous trails out of Trippet Ranch (3+, 3+), MASH TV Site (4, L4), north end of Las Virgenes Rd. (3+, L3-7).  On the other extreme is the 67 mile Backbone Trail.  Loads more. Message me back if you need more.