cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Hiking: My new Passion

Finally got my REI membership after I purchased my new Oboz boots. I love hiking in various spots in the San Fernando Valley, CA (relocated here in ‘17). I’m no hiking Pro (I’m a novice), but I’m a huge fan of the gorgeous SoCal vistas that I get to see while on great trails. I welcome suggested hiking routes. 

4 Replies

@ejkuranz 

Welcome to the community! Thank you for coming here to share your new passion with us! I was just telling @nathanu how much I appreciated his photos and trip reports from his hikes. Please feel free to share your experiences and photos with us here in the community. Do you have a favorite trail in your area? 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Welcome, fellow SoCaler (@ejkuranz)! I hike and lead hikes in SoCal, often in the Santa Monica Mountains. Once the pandemic lifts there are numerous groups out there for any interest. Until then, AllTrails is a great free app with filters to sort towards your interests. Not knowing your comfort zone, let me provide some ideas (mileage, 1-10 difficulty level): Echo Mountain (5, L6), Inspiration Point (10, L7), Garapito Loop (8, L7) & others from Marvin Braude Rec Area, numerous trails out of Trippet Ranch (3+, 3+), MASH TV Site (4, L4), north end of Las Virgenes Rd. (3+, L3-7).  On the other extreme is the 67 mile Backbone Trail.  Loads more. Message me back if you need more.

TY Bob! Just now seeing this. I’ve had the AllTrails app for some time now, but actually need to use it. Thanks for the reminder. 
- Elana

0 Likes

Just did Encinal Canyon this morning. Gorgeous, and climbing temperatures coincided with increasing winds, making this 10 mile walk a sheer pleasure. I’ll be doing ~1/week in the SMs.  DM me if you’d like to be notified.