cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Mt. Whitney Hike

I would like plan a hike to summit Mt. Whitney in 2021 and looking to join a group to train with. I live in Temecula, Ca. so looking to hike San Gorgonio mountain for training. 

Turning 50 in November so would really like to apply for the permits to hike Whitney sometime in late summer, early fall. 

Let the adventure begin, 

Shaun

6 Replies

From all reports, your biggest obstacle will be obtaining the necessary permit.  Be flexible in your plans.  You could consider other summits - the hills are alive with lesser known summits that are as challenging, or more, than Whitney, which is basically just a long uphill grind (by th easiest route).

Best wishes in this endeavor.  It will be memorable!

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Permits are very hard to get. You can apply for 16 (I think) dates. to increase your odds find a small group of people and all of you apply together (if you have 2 people that's 32 entries, 4 people its 64 etc). If Whitney doesn't work out for you this year, there are TONS of great mountains nearby. Keep training and enjoy. I did Couch Potato to 5k before my first big trek. 

Edit by moderator: Per the Forest Service website: "Submit only one application to the lottery. You may request up to 15 alternate dates on your application. Groups or households that submit multiple applications will be rejected. If you want more than one trip this year, additional reservations can be made after the lottery."  We remind all users to abide by the rules and regulations of the land agencies that steward our public lands.

Thank you very much for the info! 

0 Likes

If you are caught doing what this man says in trying to increase your chances for permits and you are caught, none in your group will be granted permits in that year's cycle. Also, you are increasing the burdens in an already burdensome system by clogging up the permits. This is one reason why there are so many second Chance permits.

The rules are stated quite clearly. I'd recommend you attempt to follow them. We are attempting to protect a highly impacted area. Recognize that when you travel in this area. It'll be hard to forget because it's a super highway of people 24 hours a day.

0 Likes

@blieveucan

We wanted to confirm what @SolaceEasy states in their above post about groups applying for multiple permits. From the Forest Service website:

"Submit only one application to the lottery. You may request up to 15 alternate dates on your application. Groups or households that submit multiple applications will be rejected. If you want more than one trip this year, additional reservations can be made after the lottery."

We would like to remind everyone that you should always follow the rules and regulations of the land agency in charge of managing the land on which you are planning to recreate.

It looks like the permit lottery closed on the 24th of March, were you able to secure a permit? Best of luck on your trip!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

I have issued Wilderness permits in Inyo National Forest including for Mount Whitney. I am somewhat familiar with procedures and patterns of use. It's been a few years since I've worked there, but I was in the Mount Whitney area last year - both sides - and climbed Mounts Irvine and Langley 4 years ago.

First let me say that the time of year that you are interested in going increases your chances for getting a permit. If you have a lot of time off and can stay in the area, your chance of picking up a second chance permit can increase IF ranger stations open again this year. That is a big if. Almost nothing was done in person last year.

The campground at Whitney Portal has less people that time of year, and it is possible to stay more than one night in the walk-in campground as well. There are good training hikes in the area for the days you cannot get your permit for Whitney.

Meysan Lakes Trail is a serious climb. Mount Langley is somewhat nearby and many people accomplish that hike in one day. It's much easier to get a permit for overnight in that area and no permit is necessary for a Day hike. Mount Langley is very near Lone Pine, with the road turning off Whitney Portal Road.

There are other good training walks you can do out of Horseshoe Meadows including climbing Cirque Mountain. Or connect New Army and Army passes. Remember that altitude is the thing you cannot train for in Temecula.

Another overlooked training mountain is White Mountain Peak, one of the highest in the state, with an old jeep road all the way to the top. No permit, bring the mountain bike.

Enjoy training - I am!