cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Day Hikes in South Bay LA

Hi There!  

I am looking for anyone interested in organizing a day hike within driving distance from the South Bay area in LA.  Need motivation to get out and about while still staying safe.

Therese

0 Likes
7 Replies

@tt Thanks for reaching out!

We're going to move this post over to the local page for LA, that should give it a little more visibility to folks in the area. Welcome to the community!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Hi fellow South Bay hiker! Once the pandemic is in check I'd be happy to let you know when we're hiking. I hike there and/or the Santa Monica's 2-3x/week, either individually or as a group hike lead.  Reply if interested.

0 Likes

Hi @bobhikes,

I would also be interested in the South Bay hikes.

Thanks,

Christina

0 Likes

Great! How would you like me to contact you about upcoming hikes?

0 Likes

I do this twice a week, every week.

Tuesday night in Hermosa Beach a group does a 4 mi walk on the green belt and surround streets.   It is definitely suburban and a casual pace.  This walk is intended to be doable by new hikers  It is 4 miles in 1.5 hours with about 600 feet of total elevation gain on sidewalks, wood chips and grass.

Sunday mornings Palos Verdes preserve.  Typically at the end of Crenchaw at Del Cerro Park.  5 to 7 miles on dirt paths on a large open space.  As much as 2,400 feet total gain.   It is different every time.  Our goal is to eventually walk every trail.   We go at a moderate pace, not fast.

I used to lead some weekly hikes for the Serra Club but the club has suspended these until late summer. So the above are informal with no sponsoring organization.

After late summer they will start the Thursday night hikes again starting from parking lot at Hawthorne and Silver Spur at 6:30pm   and likely will re-start the Saturday PV hikes that start from various locations at 8am.

I'm also looking to organize bigger trips.  I typically do a week long backpack about every 5 or 6 weeks and shorter weekend trips, COVID and the fires kind of slowed this down but by late summer there should be four or five groups hikes every week.

0 Likes

@ChrisA - I'd like to join you when my schedule allows on those walks.  I've reemerged from solitary hiking now that I'm fully vaccinated, and am willing to hike with others so long as we respect people's needs WRT COVID. Hiking 1-2 x/wk.  I'm also a hike lead, and have begun tagging my hikes with #roberthikessocal.  I hike a lot in the Santa Monica's, Angeles & PV, generally start ~7:30 & have the following plans; DM me if you'd like details: 5/23 Backbone Trail Latigo Canyon to Malibu Canyon (10 mi., moderate), 5/28 Mishi Mokwa Loop w/Boney Mtn extension (8 mi., moderate).

0 Likes

This is an old thread but there is a small group that does a suburban walk every Tuesday night in Hermosa Beach.  It is billed as a beginner level hike.  We do 4.2 miles at 20 minute pace with a few mild hills but can accommodate slower beginners.   Start with this if you are worried about not being able to keep up with a group.

I can do faster hikes too and Am planning on a Yosemite backpack trip every month

Tues in Hermosa is a good starting place

0 Likes