• Retired system software developer living in Ontario about 75 miles west of Toronto.
• Have been enjoying many outdoors activities since the 1960s.
• Favorite activities: Hiking year-round as well as snowshoeing in the winter.
• Favorite places: Austrian Alps, Rockies and White Mountains.
• Also: Hiked in Canada (in many areas from coast to coast to coast), the US as well as too many European countries to list.
• Favorite activity when younger [and my back could take it]: Backpacked in northern Canada, including a traverse of Baffin Island north of the Arctic Circle.
• Most frustrating activity: Trying to learn German.
• Participated in: Canadian Outward Bound Wilderness School courses in Canada including canoeing and winter camping.
• Member: REI and MEC [the Canadian version] for many years.
• Favorite gear: Hiking boots that fit well and are comfortable [currently Lowa Renegades.]
@Wanderer Thanks for the intro!
When I started with REI (a mere 14 years ago) I worked in the footwear department fitting shoes and boots. It makes my heart happy when people talk about how important good fit is in their footwear. Your adventure is only as long as your feet last!
It hard to enjoy the outdoors when you're grimacing in pain with every step you take.