cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Membership now as great as the outdoors!
Already a member? Take a look at the Co-op Members section of the community.
Ready to join? Explore all of the benefits here.

Nice to Meet You!

Hi Everybody!

My name is Nikki, and I love the outdoors! I work for a boutique travel company/tour operator that focuses on sustainable travel all over the world. I love hiking, camping, climbing, you name it (and REI of course)! I would love to get involved with the wonderful REI community, and maybe even help other people start their outdoor adventures and share what I've learned so far. 

Cheers from the Trail!
8 Replies

Good Morning @NeverTrulyLost,

My wife’s lifelong dream is to visit the Positano to Amalfi coastline and surrounding area of Italy. 

Marc_OV_AZ_0-1655307561905.jpeg

Some how, some way we want to make that dream come true. 

Our concern is she has Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, a medical condition of which exposure to chemicals such as perfume/ cologne, scented laundry soaps/softeners, scented candles, plug in scented air fresheners, cigarette/cigar/pipe smoke, and wood burning smoke cause a severe migraine and inner ear balance issue, of which can last for days. 

She historically packs a 3M 8577 Respirator Mask on our travels, as efficient defense from Covid-19 and nuisance organic vapor exposure.

With your “sustainable” travel profession, have you any travel and accommodation recommendations for folks in our situation?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Hi Marc!

Great question! I can see how that could make traveling tough! 

I don't claim to be a medical professional at all, but as far as some tips go, I would recommend reaching out to accommodations you plan to stay in and making them aware of your wife's condition. A lot of places can be incredibly accommodating, and these kinds of sensitivities aren't too uncommon. It's possible that they may be able to accommodate you both (whether by using different laundering techniques, removing air fresheners, placing you in a room with extra ventilation, etc.)

I would also recommend packing a personal sleeping bag liner, which she can use and clean with non-fragranced cleaners, which may give you some peace of mind when it comes to shared linens at your accommodations. They're also a great option for hygiene in general, for everything from allergens to Covid. 

Finally, I would try to avoid staying in hostels/refuges/dorms, etc. Just because you never really know what kinds of products your dorm-mates may be using and if they will affect your wife, even if the accommodation staff can make adjustments for you. 

I hope that's helpful!

Cheers from the Trail!

Hi NeverTrulyLost,

Thanks for the prompt and thoughtful reply!

👍

Marc

Hello, Nikki, and welcome. Generally speaking, what part of the globe do you call home?

aka "Boonerelli"

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Hi John!

I'm based in the US, but have quite a bit of experience with the UK and with the Alps (specifically the Tour du Mont Blanc). 

Cheers from the Trail!
0 Likes

Welcome to the community.

Enjoy

Welcome to the community @NeverTrulyLost !  Nice to "meet" you.  

Welcome!

Join the community
Other boards in this category