cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

New to the North and New Here

Hi everybody! I'm Hannie, a Florida Native who has recently (Feb 2020) found herself in the North Woods (well, actually, Lakes) of Minnesota. I (mostly) hated my first backpacking trip in 2013 during college, and then in 2018 was somehow drawn to the idea of attempting a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trial. In 2019 I completed that thru-hike with my best friend, and now we're trying our hands (and feet) at cycling. Before last year I hadn't ridden a bike since college!

Still pretty new to learning from the outdoors and the people who care for it. But excited to continue and grow.

Tips for surviving and thriving outdoors in the winters are welcome! These first two have been brutal for this Floridian.

2 Replies

Hi @likeanniewithanh - Welcome to the community! 

Thank you so much for sharing that background with us. What an incredible series of events. Congrats on completing the AT! You probably have some good tips to pass along with the questions that come into our Appalachian Trail Hikers group.

This community is a great spot to come with questions about getting back into cycling. There are many people here who are passionate about all different kinds of riding and happy to share what they know.

With your move to the North, you may also want to take a look at our State of Minnesota page, which is a great spot to post looking for local suggestions, areas, and more. What activities are you hoping to do this upcoming winter? If you're keen on camping, this thread on staying warm while winter camping has some great information to start with!

We're glad to have you here in the community. Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Thanks so much for sharing those topics, still discovering everything on here! I can't wait to dive into them, especially the AT one, I could hear stories (and answer questions!) forever!

I would love to nab me some cross country skis, so that will be a search of mine while the lakes are warm! Camping in the winter wasn't originally something that I had considered, but looking at the opportunities in Voyageur NP to view the Northern Lights...I just might. As soon as I read up on staying warm - the REI video in that thread someone shared has gone on my watch list!