cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

New to Cycling

Hi from Central NJ. I am a brand new cyclist, having just checked off a bucket list item of learning to ride. At age 72, I finally figured out it wasn't going to get done by itself. I started with REI's "Learn to Ride as an Adult" class and I highly recommend it. Still a little shaky but getting better and more confident each time out. There are lots of great biking paths around here. My next goal is to ride a section of the D&R Canal path with my wife.

A question for the more experienced riders out there: on dry paths or roads, do fenders make a real difference? I don't see many bikes with them.

2 Replies

Given dry conditions, fenders are usually not necessary.  I logged any happy years without them.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Hi @Robert2 - Welcome to the community! It's great to hear you're enjoying your bike and are feeling more confident on it.

We are happy to hear that you found the Learn to Ride as an Adult biking class helpful. If you have any additional questions or want to share the tips you learn along the way, this community is a great place to connect with others about cycling. You can take a look on our Cycling board to see if there are any existing conversations you want to join in on or if you want to start a new one!

For fenders, I would agree with @hikermor that if you are in dry conditions fenders won't be essential. On rainy days, they will save you from getting dirty while riding through puddles, but otherwise you should be good to go without them. 

We're happy to have you here in the community. Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes