cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: New Hampshire Hiker from Massachusetts

Old Hiker here. I live in Massachusetts right on the New Hampshire boarder and do just about all my hiking in NH.  I grew up in a hunting family and was taken on hunting trips from a very early age.  By time I was 20-years-old I realized that it was being in the woods that I loved not the hunting. I began to go camping. Car camping at first especially when the kids were young. Later I began to hike the White Mountains solo. Then I started to Backpack and back country camp in the Mountains of NH. My longest stretch in the woods has been 6-days straight solo. I took a long pause from hiking for many years. I am now 61-years old and just started to get back into backpacking in 2020. I picked a bad year to start back as all the Huts along the Appalachian trail were closed do to Covid. Dawning my backpack, I took to the White Mountains despite the pandemic. I am once again hooked. I am older now so lightening my load has been more important than when I was younger. I am not an ultralight backpacker. I like my comforts. But through REI I have updated my backpack, my sleeping pad and my stove and cooking equipment. I am not a snow shoer or cross county skier, so I am waiting for all this snow to melt so I can get back into the woods.

Badger......

2 Replies

@Badger 

Hey, nice to read your story. I'm very familiar with the areas you are talking about as I live in Southern Maine on the border of New Hampshire and frequently go there. I fish, hike, and camp all around between New Hampshire and Maine from places near the Kancamangus to Gorham, etc. I don't know what the weather is like in Mass, but considering how frequently I travel to New Hampshire, I know that like Maine (where I live) they have gotten so many small storms and days of cold that there is a considerable amount of snow. Like you, I'm also waiting for the trails to clear up as I only snowshoe short trails. I've really enjoyed the new REI in North Conway and have utilized the website to, as I don't always get to go out there. 

Happy Trails, 

Matt

0 Likes

Hi @Badger - Welcome to the community! It is so great to hear your stories about getting into the woods. I live in Burlington, VT now (not too far away) but also used to live in West Lebanon, NH, so am familiar with that strong pull to the Whites!

Having the AT shelters closed down is good for public health, though they are definitely missed and something to look forward to when we emerge on the other side of this. As a skiier, I've been missing the Dartmouth Outing Club's backcountry cabins a lot too. I agree with you that with spring slowly starting to emerge, I'm getting excited about what the upcoming months will bring. Do you have any backpacking plans for the Whites or other nearby ranges once the snow thaws? 

In Conversations, you've found a great place to ask all of your questions, share your stories and expertise, and converse with others who are also passionate about the outdoors. You may even find New England locals looking to get on trails around the same time you are!

Thanks for joining the community. We're glad to have you here!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes