cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Lee, from lots of places

Good evening, folks.  I'm Lee, better known as Hikes in Rain, a trail name gifted me during past section hikes on the Appalachian Trail, which I also use here.  I had an intense job at the time, and couldn't get away often or for long periods of time to pursue my hiking goals.  I had a window of time, so no matter what the weather was, if I was going to make AT miles, then weather be darned, I had to go.  Seems like it rained every time.  Hmm...

I've traveled a lot.  Back in 1974, shortly after marrying the worlds most wonderful woman (she still hasn't see through the facade I've put up! 🤞), we moved from south central Illinois to Alaska.  Alaska Highway was still a "gravel" wilderness road.  Drove up in a souped up Dodge Dart.  God watches out for fools.

Moved from there to Florida.  Never do anything half way.  After obtaining degrees in medical technology, mathematics, environmental engineering, and a master's in engineering management, while working as a hospital orderly, medical technologist and a variety of engineering positions (never just worked or just went to school, for a long time, always both), I retired early four years ago.  Having the time of my life now.  We take off on month long RV trips, I've hiked some 440 miles of the Appalachian Trail, and served as Chief Technical Officer for a tiny Florida based engineering firm that's somehow based up in Brooklyn.

Why be normal??

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978
Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
2 Replies

@Hikes_in_Rain wow, so much amazing experience! Thanks for sharing!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Thank you, Ms. Jen!  The result of a life never knowing what I should grow up to be.  Still haven't figured it out, but I find I'm really, really good at being retired!

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978
Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.