cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Introduction: Hello from SoCal

Hi Everyone

My name is Christina Kwok.

I'm 29 years old about to turn 30.  Pre-covid I use to hate hiking and now I just love it.  Looking for people in the area around the same age range who'd be open to hiking various trails in LA.

I'm pretty active - have a yoga certification and my normal activity would include basketball and gymming.  (Explains why I never hiked before).

#optoutside

12 Replies

Hi Jenny

Wow thank you so much for the information.  Those are excellent suggestions. (how did I not think of it myself haha).

I just applied to 2 facebook hiking groups in LA.  I also followed the 52 challenge group in LA.

I'll be sure to pay it back by paying it forward.  If you'd ever like to connect more my instagram is @xikwoketa 

See you around, happy hiking and I'm sure I'll find the community I'm seeking for 🙂

-Christina
#optoutside

Welcome! It’s addictive so you’ll be doing it for life! 

0 Likes

@@xikwoketa 

West LA here, originally from Honolulu, 35+ years wilderness enthusiast (land and sea), most of it as a wilderness survivalist, much of it as a wilderness soloist.

I've sailed a yacht delivery from Hawaii to Bora-Bora (stopping at a few seldom seen islands in between) and crewed the SF Bay regatta/race (1st in our category, 3rd overall), and was into Hawaiian outrigger canoe paddling (OC-1) and racing (OC-6) for years.

I've also backpacked/hiked/camped in South Korea, Canada, and a few other places in between, including mountaineering, canyoneering, packrafting, bikepacking, in everything from mountains to deserts, coastlines, forests and so on.

I typically don't teach beginners, but am always open to the idea. The main issue for me is COMMITMENT. Commitment to getting things right the FIRST time from the beginning, to ivesting the time, energy (and sometimes money) it takes to getting good gear and good experience.

I never ask for money, but you WILL pay with your blood, sweat and tears... okay, maybe not so much with the blood. I like the area north of Altadena as my usual starting point. As an experienced wilderness survivalist, there are few you would be safer with.

If you think you're up to the challenge, let know.

0 Likes