cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Howdy from Georgia!

Hi y'all! I'm a newbie who'd been wanting to get into camping for years but always managed to procrastinate it. Went with a friend recently for the first time since I was a kid and hot dang do I love it. I'm still green but I've been researching and stocking up on backpacking gear, too, so I can work my way up from car camping to some of the backcountry campsites they have in our rad state parks. I'm in... lackluster physical shape coming out of 2020 but I'm excited to learn and grow and challenge myself!

4 Replies

Hi @Icewright - Welcome to the community!

It’s so great that you have discovered a love of camping. This is an amazing place for you to read up on answers from other people’s questions as well as ask your own. There are many other community members who enjoy sharing their suggestions, stories and expertise on camping, backpacking, and more. You are on a solid path starting with smaller car camping trips and working up to longer backcountry plans. We hope this can be a valuable part of your learning experience!

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself. We’re happy to have you here!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Hey! I don't know where you are in Georgia... I'm just across the state line in Florida and have relatives all over the state. You're right, y'all do have some great state parks! We have a few great places too, if you like flatlands, swamp, marsh.

If you're up north I recommend Cloudland Canyon for an easy backcountry experience. It's an easy trail, plenty wide and not too steep, and the sites are nice. My son and I had a nice time there over a weekend a few years back.

Don't forget, you can use the same stuff both backpacking and car camping, depending on what it is! I love the headlamp I bought for backpacking when I'm cooking 30 feet from the car!

In fact, some of my favorite gear isn't really "gear" at all. We use plastic cups that my wife accidentally absconded with from a local coffeeshop years ago when she was in law school, and when I don't have to worry about carrying it on a plane I sometimes use a hoe handle with a cord run through the end as a "trecking pole".

As far as being in shape, very few of us are! I'm always at my strongest a few weeks after my annual big summer trip. Just don't overdo it. There's no shame in saying "enough" and turning back. Better that than someone having to carry you out because you fell and hurt yourself or something.

See you on the trail!

@Icewright welcome to the community!  I'm in North Georgia and am working my way north, one section at a time.  Still fairly new to backpacking myself and in mediocre shape but absolutely love it.  Have found a TON of wisdom in these forums and some incredible people.  

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes