cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Hi from PA + OH | Camping, traveling, photography

Hi,

I currently live in a suburb of Pittsburgh, PA and I kind of also live in Columbus, OH.  The long story, short is our family is from Ohio. If I'm not there with my husband and kids I take a Grayhound back on weekends, not every weekend but quite a few. I also just upgraded from my Osprey Daylite + to the Renn 65. I'm also planning to end up using the Renn as my travel baggage just because if we do go back to France we normally take the trains and last time was not the most fun I had even had with luggage. I'm also into photography so might go on some camping trips to do astrophotography or just get out on hikes with photography groups. 

- Katy

7 Replies

Hi @KatyHall - Welcome to the community!

Thanks for introducing yourself. You are in a great spot to ask questions and share your stories and expertise with others who enjoy spending time outdoors. The Camping and Adventure Travel boards would be good places to check out, as well as the Outdoor Photographers group!

There are some other folks here in the community who also enjoy astrophotography, myself included. Do you have a favorite place to go out and take those photos? If you'd like to share, it would be great to see some of your photos.

We're happy to have you here and look forward to the conversations ahead!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Hi Carter,

I've only really done a few astrophotography things since 2016. Back in 2016
, I went on an overnight trip to Hocking Hill, OH to get some shots of the Milkyway. I also got a few of Neowise in a less than ideal spot, due to COVID and being sick, with less than ideal gear. Here is two of my favorites!

I also have a cool shot of some lighting that I got while at a bar on Mt. Washington when I pinned my camera between my hand and table. 

neowise.jpg

night5.jpg

@KatyHall - Wow! How amazing are those. Thanks so much for sharing!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

I finally found the lighting shot and one I took of the skyline that night.

lighting1.jpgnatlighting.jpgpitts8.jpg

@KatyHallnice shots!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

Welcome, KatyHall.  I do not know much about the Columbus area, but there are some great outdoor opportunities within an hour or two of Pittsburgh.  I hope you have begun to discover them.

aka "Boonerelli"

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

I will say the lack of me exploring more of the great outdoors is I have two kids and don't drive. I'm hopefully going to get my bike over here from Columbus soon. The only problem is I'm half thinking of just getting another one. The one I have, have taken it to get looked at a few times, will hold air in the back tire but only after getting replaced and when I put it away for the winter I'll have to replace the tire again. I live close to North Park and plan to ride to it once I get back in shape as I've been a little lazy over the last 2 years.

- Katy