cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Hi from Oregon Wine Country

My name is Sue.  I've just retired and happy to have found this group.  I will be spending time on the Oregon coast for the remainder of the summer.  Any thoughts on hiking/biking trails, kayaking, or whale watching sites?   Thanks.  🙂

3 Replies

@smiley2021 

Hi Sue - Welcome to the community and congrats on retirement! We're thrilled to hear you are happy to have found this group. It's a great spot to connect with others who are passionate about the outdoors, ask questions and share your own expertise and stories!

The Oregon coast is so beautiful. It's awesome that you're going to be in the area for the rest of the summer. @Coykoi@BaileyB@Bugzer@jmoss@Bryanne@Arch-I-Donkulous@HaveKidsWillTravel@POCOPAM - do y'all have any suggestions for hiking/biking trails, kayaking spots, or whale watching sites around Oregon to share with Sue? 

-- 

We hope you take some time to look around the site's different areas and see if there are any existing conversations that you'd like to join in on — or places where you would like to start your own! The Oregon, hiking, cycling, and watersports boards are good places to start! It's great to see you've already connected with @sarahfaulkner08. Hopefully you all will be able to bounce ideas off of each other and maybe even share a hike or something!

We're glad to have you here in the community. Thanks for introducing yourself!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

We really enjoyed hiking at Silver Falls State park. It isn't exactly on the coast but it was awesome. We also loved hiking around Cape Meares. There was a fun trail that took us down to the beach where we spent hours exploring the tide pools. Cannon beach was also fun. We ended our trip at the Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park in No-Cal. This was my favorite hike. (See "tree hugger" picture below). We also saw Fern Canyon in the same region. Lots of very beautiful things in this part of the country. 

Tree Huggers.jpg

0 Likes

Hi Sue!

Happy retirement! I love the Oregon coast; I am most familiar with Cannon Beach and Astoria, but I recently went farther south to Depoe Bay and Newport! Depoe Bay is famous for its whale watching; a local recommended I have lunch at The Horn and look for whales! There were an impressive number of sea lions down at the historic waterfront in Newport, too. Add in visiting the lighthouses, and it's a wonderful day or weekend! 

Cheers,
Sarah

0 Likes