cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Hello people! (from between the Appalachian Mtns and Chesapeake Bay)

I'm just joining and I wanted to say hello- I'm on the US East Coast, right between the Appalachian Mountains and the Chesapeake Bay- two of my favorite things!!! I dig camping, and bikes... so by default-bike-packing.

I can ignore mosquitoes, but I don't like horse-flies. I can't wait to hear the cicadas later this summer! (It has been so long).

8 Replies

Hi @jnophoto !  Another Marylander!  That's 2 in one day!  Welcome!

I'm in Harford County, right along the mighty Susquehanna River and near the headwaters of the Chesapeake Bay.  I hike year round, and bike, mostly on rail-trails during the warmer months.  Haven't gone out yet this spring, but am taking my bike in for its annual tune-up next week.

I haven't done any bike-packing.  Just day trips.  Usually 20 - 40 miles in distance. My "go-to" is the NCR Trail, but have hit the NW Lancaster County River Trail, the C&D Canal Trail, the Ma  &Pa Trail, the Lehigh Gorge Trail, and the abandoned PA Turnpike (which isn't an official trail...yet).

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

My friend told me the Sus is the only river "this side of the Mississippi" that runs "the wrong way"... I checked it out, and I think that is correct- isn't that awesome?!? 

I'm going to attempt a 4-day trip between 3 parks in my county next month... Nothing too long each day, but on the road for a bit. Keep you posted!

BTW- I love that river, and I looove the bay!!!

Hey there @jnophoto !

Since you appreciate the Susquehanna, I thought you might like this photo I took of this section just north of the Conowingo Dam.Susquehanna River resized.jpg

Hello @jnophoto!  I'm East coast as well- just joined myself.  I am trying to get back into biking- I used to do commuter biking a decade ago and had a car turn right in front of me as I was heading through a light.  Did a little bit of noggin damage and have been gunshy since.  Would love to hike but I know the knees wouldn't take it- so as it is we go to state park campgrounds and car camp.  

There's a few times I have visited back east as an adult I wish I had the ability to ignore chiggers.

the only time i've had an issue with chiggers was hanging around a stream bank too long after soaking my feet...then my feet got attacked!  not fun.

on the AT in VA

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

They feast on me whenever I go through tall grass... Why do the bites suck for two days?!? I could be walking to a destination 100 yards away; but through a field. I will walk a half mile through the woods to avoid walking through that field, even if it's 95 degrees and 95% humidity...

0 Likes

I guess I should consider myself lucky.  Bugs tend to ignore me.  And when I do get bitten, it usually doesn't itch for very long.  Must be something in my blood they don't like.

0 Likes