cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Hello from the Adirondack Mountains of upstate New York

I'm aware that most people think New York is merely New York City, but the opposite is true. My state runs 300+ miles north of metropolis to the Canadian border and nestled just south of that border is the largest state park in the U.S. - the Adirondack State Park. I grew up in the southern foothills of these mountains on the Great Sacandaga Lake. Spent much of my time fishing and hiking, later got into rock climbing, ice climbing, mountain biking, all types of skiing, backpacking and generally enjoying the wilderness. Photography is one of my favorite hobbies. 

Still morning on Garnet LakeStill morning on Garnet LakeMy daughter watching the sunset on Mt. ColdenMy daughter watching the sunset on Mt. ColdenLake George from Black Mountain.jpgStorm clouds moving out at Mud LakeStorm clouds moving out at Mud Lake

12 Replies

I hear ya! Love Chicago deep dish pizza! But I really love living here in Saratoga Springs. 2 hrs to the 'Dacks, the 'Gunks and Cats, 3 hrs to NY, Boston, and Montreal. Also Go Orange and Go Big Red Bears!

0 Likes

@Kato1953 your photos are amazing! Thank you for sharing. I spent some time in the Adirondaks in the spring of 2002 before moving from OH to UT. Mount Marcy and Algonquin were my first peak bagging experiences... fond memories.

Beautiful pictures. I was up in  Lake Saranac last weekend with a couple of friends and did a quick hike/test  with 35+lbs  on one of the nearby trails. We will be going back again.