cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Hello from Southwest Ohio

Hello all!

I am an avid hiker, backpacker, camper, and outdoor photographer living in Southwest Ohio.  My wife and I enjoy getting out for day hikes at every opportunity opportunity, as well as short, weekend backpacking trips when we have the time.  We have visited and hiked in several of the U.S. National Parks and done a couple of multi-day backpacking trips in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, specifically Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park.  We also love taking our grandchildren (now seven of them) out on hiking adventures and instilling in them a love of the outdoors!

Get outdoors, stay safe, and happy trails!
Todd the Hiker
4 Replies

Hi, Todd! Glad to see another Ohio native. I grew up in SE Ohio and graduated from UC! I've also been to quite a few national parks and though I haven't made it to the UP yet, it looks incredible and I've heard great things. Safe travels and go Bearcats!

@bearbait Nice to meet you! I'm a transplant to Ohio, but consider myself a native now, since I have lived here longer than anywhere else, settling here when I got out of the Air Force back in the late 90s.

Being from SE Ohio I suspect you know Shawnee SP/SF and probably Red River Gorge in KY...both are places we like to hike.

We did a short trip to the UP a couple weeks ago and did some day hiking near the city of Marquette (see photos below for a sample of the scenery from that trip).  I highly recommend anywhere in the UP, but Pictured Rocks NL and the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness SP are especially amazing! I do recommend going before mid-May or in the late summer/fall to avoid the insects!

EzmyT7eVUAcW5qY.jpeg

One of many waterfalls on the Dead River near Marquette, MI.

EzsfGVlXEAItWEl.jpeg

View from the top of Hogback Mountain overlooking Marquette, MI and Lake Superior.

Todd the Hiker

@Todd_the_Hiker 

Welcome!

Thank you for introducing yourself, we're so glad you're here. We've had a lot of folks from the Ohio-Michigan-Kentucky area looking for tips on places to go. We'll be sure to tag you in when another post comes through.

Glad you're here!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

@REI-JohnJ

Thanks! I'm happy to help others get out and find adventures!

Todd the Hiker
0 Likes