cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

HELLO! (from someone who loves hiking with dogs)

8/10/21

YOU are already awesome! hiking! Better yet, Hiking with your dog(s) ! wow!!

If my dogs cant go; I cant go. Simple. And I don't care! 🙂

after my husband of many years croaked, I was depressed. So, l I took up long distance cycling and now hiking.  I buy the BEST equipment I can.  Weird.....Ladies my age (69) around here are obese, sick, engage in "organ recitals" and are negative. Fortunately, I am ok by myself and have little in common with most. 

I recently acquired two rescue mutts with whom I hike. They are the BEST companions! One is a pack carrier. The other is a three legged, toothless female about 11 yrs old. The dogs, trained daily, are really good positive companions and NEVER complain. I tie their leashes to my hip belt and boogie. One must TRAIN the dogs to walk and reward them with treats when they do good. Otherwise, you have sour canines. YOU are pack leader, carry first aid (for them) keep them leashed and fed. Talk to them; This is really good for both species!

Start slow and successful. Have FUN! 

2 Replies

@NB2 welcome to our community! Have any pictures to share of the two of the "mutts" you reference? We'd love to see them! And since you love hiking with your pups, you might check out our Outside with Pets board to ask questions, meet other dog people, and offer your expertise.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

GREAT INTRO!  I am a veterinarian and restarted backpacking about 5 years ago (I am 68).  I love it and my border collie goes everywhere.  I did a week on the JMT this year.  What part of the country are you located in?  Keep up the hiking with the furry companions.  Great for all.  Dr. Bob

0 Likes