cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Hello from San Diego!

New member from San Diego here. Originally from Alaska and feeling inspired to do more hiking and camping recently after living in the city for 20 years. I'm anxious to do some tent camping and have been day hiking around 12-14 miles on average. Just did the Paradise Loop in Hell Hole Canyon Preserve yesterday with my new Osprey backpack from REI!

Planning to hike and explore Joshua Tree Park next month with my Wife. I am also interested in any So-Cal camping areas that may be opening this summer and would appreciate any advice or recommendations. I've recently hiked several San Diego trails and would be happy to answer any questions about Mission Trails Park, Iron Mtn, El Cajon Mtn, etc.

I'm happy to joining a group of individuals who appreciate the simpler side of life. Thank you and Happy Trails!

1 Reply

Hi @Unstoppable1 - Welcome to the community! We are so glad you are here. It sounds like you've had some wonderful hikes lately. Southern California is so special because it allows you to see many unique environments fairly close to each other. Thank you for offering to share your expertise on trails around the San Diego area. We will be sure to tag you if someone asks questions about hiking around there!

We think you will find lots of great information here in the community to help with starting out camping. Whether you are looking for gear suggestions, trail recommendations, or advice on techniques for a fun, safe time out camping, there are many community members here with lots of knowledge to share. There is definitely a lot of new information to take in on the subject, but you're in the perfect spot! You might also want to take a look at the camping board to see what people are already conversing about. If you have anything you would like to learn about now, don't hesitate to ask!

We also hope some of our community members will jump in to share their favorite local destinations. @msb1388@brookz6@OutsideCara@Lindseyf25@LindsayVV@Coffee_Dad@minhster - do you all have any SoCal camping areas or tips to share?

Thanks again for introducing yourself. We're excited to learn from your experiences and answer any questions you have going forward!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
Join the community
Other boards in this category