cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Hello from Pennsylvania!

Hello everyone! Greetings from central Pennsylvania. Back in August I returned from an 8 month trip backpacking around New Zealand. Looking to continue my passion for the outdoors and hit some trails locally. Love the REI team as they helped prepare me for my travels through advice on merchandise purchases! Excited to meet locals and get more involved with fellow members! Any outdoor activities/groups , trails or camping spots you would recommend?! Have the itch to get back outside and explore new places as the weather starts to warm up again. Cheers!

4 Replies

@r_cox welcome to our community, and welcome back from your adventures abroad! Any amazing pictures to share from your time in New Zealand?

In case you haven't seen it yet, we've got a Central PA board and a number of other folks from the PA area who might have recommendations: @John  @Fredh3 @Sylvan @kjrmcclain @JDS15 to mention a few!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

@r_cox - I am not sure what you mean by "central Pennsylvania" but there is always the Appalachian Trail for hiking and backpacking. Father south in Maryland the C&O Canal Path is great for cycling and short hikes. I think it would get boring on a long hike. And to the south and west there is the Dolly Sods Wilderness Area and the Otter Creek Wilderness Area in West Virginia's Monongahela National Forest, and even more wilderness areas father south in the Mon, like Laurel Fork and Cranberry. To the west, approaching Pittsburgh, there is the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail (LHHT) for day hiking and backpacking and the Great Alleghany Passage (PA) for cycling. The LHHT and GAP meet up in Ohiopyle State Park, which offers some great white kayaking and rafting as well as day hiking.

aka "Boonerelli"

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Hello @r_cox 

I am an avid backpacker in the northeast/northcentral Pa. I am putting together a number of trips and the earliest in March 8th of the donut hole trail. Let me know if you are interested in this one or any others and we can put something together. 

Looking forward to hiking together.

Take care

Fred AKA Stickman. 

0 Likes

Hi @r_cox and welcome!

I'm from Maryland, near the Mason Dixon line, and, while there's not any significant backcountry areas around here, there are some very scenic and challenging hikes along the Susquehanna River, on both east and west banks, and in PA and MD, including the Mason Dixon Trail system and the Conestoga Trail system. 

There are also a lot of fantastic state parks, such as Greenwood Furnace State Park near State College, PA. And north of that is Susquehannock State Park.  Near Gettysburg is the Michaux State Forest.

Not certain if any of those are close enough to what part of central PA you hail from, but wanted to give you lots of options.  Feel free to hit me up if you want some more info, or if you are looking for folks to join on a hike.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.