cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Hello from Ohio

Hello,

My name is Stephen and have been a member since 2015. I am an avid Subaru owner and love the outdoors. Some of the outdoor things I enjoy are rock climbing, hiking, backpacking, snowboarding, kayaking, and well pretty much anything that gets me outside. Growing up I enjoyed the outdoors but it wasn't until college when it all started to piece together my love for the outdoors. I studied engineering and my statics professor took us out for a day of hiking. Our class met up at Cuyahoga Valley National Park and we hiked for a few hours. The professor was adamant about getting outdoors to learn from it and respect it while also using it as a tool to calm our minds/body. Since that day the outdoors has been my therapy! My wife and I have backpacked in Yosemite and Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, while hiking in many states and in some other parts of the world. We also recently did a road trip from Ohio to the Mighty Five in Utah with our 2019 Subaru Forester Sport with a Roofnest RTT. 

Outside of enjoying nature I am a technical instructor for an industrial company and enjoy wrenching on cars wether it is regular maintenance or those aftermarket goodies. 

Hope to see some people on the trails in Ohio or around the United States!

4 Replies

Hi @SubaruSteve - Welcome to the community! Thank you so much for sharing about the activities you love doing. The story about what your professor taught you in Cuyahoga Valley National Park is incredible and it's great to hear it had such an impact on your life in the outdoors. 

We think this community will be a great place to discuss all of your outdoor interests - to both ask questions and share your own expertise and experiences! If you haven't already, we recommend taking a look at the Ohio board to see what other people are taking about in your area. That will be a great place to see about meeting up with some people on the trails/rivers/rocks near you.

We look forward to the conversations ahead. We're glad you're here!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Definitely will be heading over to that board to see what is going on around here! Thank you!

Where in Ohio, generally speaking? I have cycled in Cuyahoga Valley National Park and loved it, but Ohio sometimes seems too flat for this native West Virginian and I have not done any hiking or backpacking there even though I live just across the river. BTW, I drive a 2014 Forester.

aka "Boonerelli"

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

@John - We are in Central Ohio now, used to live near Cleveland when going to college. 

Hahaha yeah Ohio definitely is flat compared to West Virginia. We love to go to the New in the summer to white water raft and hike around the area. 

Southern Ohio has Zaleski State Forest and Wayne National Forest that has backpacking options. We haven't completed those trails yet ironically. But hiking here in Ohio is found in pockets, the other big places are Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Mohican State Park, and Hocking Hills State Park. 

Nice year Forester, love that body style a lot!