cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Hello from New England! About to go on my first hike in ages!

Just joined the co-op in preparation for my first hike in waaaay too many years. Heading to New York Adirondacks for the week to decompress. 

4 Replies

Hi @stevefister - Welcome to the community! It's great to hear you're heading out on a hike after a long time away from the activity and that you've joined the co-op to help you prepare for it! 

Have you been able to talk with anyone already about gear and hiking tips before you head out on your trip? There are a ton of people here in the community who really enjoy sharing what they know and answering questions, so you've found yourself in a good spot! When you have a chance, take a look on our Hiking board to see if any of those threads jump out to you as helpful. You can read the responses that are already there or add questions and comments of your own. 

I'm up in Vermont and really love getting out into the Adirondacks too! With the cooling weather and leaves starting to change, this time of year is especially wonderful. Do you have a trail that you have already picked or are you still figuring out the details? It'd be great to hear more. 

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself! We're happy to have you here in the community. 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Hi Carter! Thank you for the response. I’m ex-military, so I’m thinking that I have everything I need, although I may have packed more than I need LOL. I have some hiking friends who gave me some pointers which I’m sure will be invaluable. 

I decided to go to the French Louie-Northville Placid trail loop. It’s 22 miles over three days, so a nice slow pace to acclimate myself to hiking again, now that I’m 52. 

lovely area in the fall

DSC_0368.JPGDSC_0372.JPGDSC_0375.JPGDSC_0398.JPGDSC_0400.JPGDSC_0410.JPG

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

The trip went very well, albeit very wet! I ended up hiking about 30 miles in 48 hours and when I got home, I could barely walk for two days haha. 

C01BB82C-1EDC-405C-B28E-E4D645D061AB.jpeg

The trails were a mixture of nicely manicured paths to downright mud pits, and everything in between. Overall, it was an incredible and humbling trip. I’m ready to go back. 

7BD85C83-0B50-41BB-AA1D-9F4FB325CA21.jpeg

93E1E7E1-2711-4C9E-ADDF-62C3F607F81D.jpeg

0 Likes