cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Hello from Mid Coast Maine!

Hi I'm Amy, I would describe myself as an avid hiker, backpacker and all around nature lover! I have backpacked all of the AT in Maine and part of NH. I try to do as much hiking as possible and am always looking for a new adventure. I could talk gear and hiking all day long and never run out of things to say.

My new favorite place to go hiking and exploring is Utah! I can't get enough of the slot canyons and beauty that area has to offer. I'm in my 50's and have no plans of slowing down, after all you only live once.

Happy Trails!

10 Replies

Hi there, Amy!

Welcome to the community! We're so glad you're here. 

I recently moved back to the 'lower 48' from the 'upper 1' (Alaska) and I am completely infatuated with Utah! Do you have a favorite hike or canyon you have done? Recommendations for a 'first trip' there? I don't have any solid plans yet but sometimes just looking at a map becomes a plan...

If you haven't yet I encourage you to check out our Maine board (or our Utah board too!) and our Appalachian Trail Hikers Group . Additionally, one of our users, @benner85, is also from the mid coast of Maine, you can check out her intro post here: Hello from Maine!.

Welcome!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Hi Amy!  I'm from the Belgrade Lakes region of Maine, just joined yesterday myself.  My wife and I camp, I do a bit of fly fishing, and I am getting back into biking.  

@Mainehomesteader 

Hello there!

We have another user, @taskmaster who lives in Maine and I believe is also homesteading. Is that a common thing in Maine? I just moved from Alaska where it is very common and I found it pretty amazing to talk with folks who were living so independently in such a remote area. I lived in New England for a couple of years but never made it up to Maine. Everything I've heard is that it is a beautiful place!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

It is fairly common John- although in our case it is a matter of raising some chickens (18 layers), broilers every other year, bees, keeping an orchard of a few trees (depending on how damage works out from winter about 53- with over 40 different apple varieties), about 3000 square feet, tapping a couple dozen maples, making a bunch of hard cider, and my wife knits a few articles of clothing here and there.  You would be hard-pressed to say we are living independently- and outside of selling a dozen eggs here and there have no income from the land.  We both work full-time jobs, although with the pandemic we have been able to work from home which has been amazing.  There has been a big tradition of it in Maine, kind of attracted by the up until very recently cheap land and drawn here by the Neerings and the infrastructure that has developed to make homesteading/small scale farming possible thanks in large part to the organic farming community surrounding MOFGA.  

I would have to say hiking the Narrows in Zion was my all time favorite! I also really liked Kanarra Falls, and the Fiery Furnace at Arches. 

Did I say I was a homesteader 😋  If having a subscription to Mother Earth News counts, I'm in, ha,ha.  There seems to be a pretty loose definition these days, but for me, I feel like you need to be completely self sustained, which we aren't yet.  Mostly because we want to get in some big hikes before the animal portion is fully possible!  I'm happy I can get raw milk to make butter, yogurt, cheese, etc.  It takes a certain self reliance to live in much of Maine though, with inconsistent power and not much in the way of services.  For example, we have at least four ways to heat the house...  Super excited that they put a cell tower in close enough a few years back that we can use a hotspot for internet.  It seems everyone (once you're away from a city) at least gardens, has chickens, bees, taps their trees, has apples and berries, etc.  It should probably just be called rural living and since people are pretty spread out up here, that's what you get along with all the wonders of outdoor adventure!

Love it @taskmaster - and I agree that the term is a bit nebulous- some people think we are hardcore- even in our rural community, and others push back a bit on the term- which is why I wanted to make sure I explained myself as thoroughly as possible.  We had the luxury of building our house with help of friends and family so we only have two ways- wood stove and heat pumps.  It was great, we were able to get rid of nearly all fossil fuels (the exception being gas for cooking for the reasons you mentioned- frequent prolonged power outages).  We are more of the mold of what Mother Earth News would term 21st Century Homesteaders- if that helps at all.

We just got a heat pump this year and love it!  Definitely 21st century.  Between that and the wood stove in the basement, we only need the fireplace when it's bitter.  We used to use a Toyo to take the chill off in the morning, but the LP truck can't get down for much of the year, so it was limited.  It's amazing how little gas we use cooking.  And I guess I'll take the blame for any power lost today...fortunately it was only 5 hrs for us!

Hello,  I'm in MA and have hiked many different sections of the AT in Maine and NH, also VA and other states.  

I also loved Utah 

I'm in my early 50's and love hiking, biking, backpacking and being outdoors.

Brenda