cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Hello from Idaho!

Hi there! We have lived in Idaho for 6 years now (originally from Northeast), and have taken up hobbies that allow us to enjoy everything Idaho has to offer! Fishing, Hiking, Kayaking, Camping, and RVing are all fair game now. This summer we will add backpacking to our repertoire! We have two children, ages 13 and almost 7, who will be venturing out with us. We will be hitting up 2 national parks this summer (no backpacking there, just day hikes in both Glacier and Bryce Canyon), and will be doing at least 1 backpacking trip. We are starting simple: 2 miles out, camp, 2 miles back. Want to test out our new gear, get a feel for setup / teardown, sleeping in the boonies, etc. Then we can start talking about bigger treks! Looking forward to learning from everyone 🙂 

4 Replies

@Kimberly hey, and welcome to our community! We're so glad you found us and joined! We've had a handful of folks join recently from Idaho - would love your perspective on some of the recent threads on the Idaho board, if you've got suggestions to share!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Hi @Kimberly - Welcome! From your introduction, it seems like this online community will be a great place to talk about gear, prep, and more for your ventures ahead. You can ask any and all questions you have, as well as share your own know-how and expertise with others.

We hope you will take a look around to see what conversations are already going, as well as post your own topics. From the (amazing!) plans you talked about, we suggest taking a look at the Outside with Kids and Backpacking boards. 

I am in Vermont, but my family lived in Sun Valley for a few years and it made me fall in love with Idaho! It's great to hear that you all have found ways to take advantage of all of the amazing outdoor opportunities the state has to offer. It would be great to hear updates on how your Glacier and Bryce Canyon trips go this summer. I have traveled to a lot of places in this country but have not yet made it to either of those. Glacier is especially high on my list!

Thanks again for introducing yourself. We're happy to have you here!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Hi Carter! We haven't been to either park yet either, this will be our first time there! We are super excited! We have done Yellowstone 3 times since moving out here. I am originally from Massachusetts, in a town that bordered both Vermont and New York! Such a pretty area. Thank you and Jen for the board suggestions, will definitely check them out! 

@Kimberly - Welcome.   Glacier is my favorite place on the planet.   Be sure to look out for American Dippers in the streams.  Here is a link about them.  https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Dipper/overview 

Again Welcome! 

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes
Join the community
Other boards in this category