cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Membership now as great as the outdoors!
Already a member? Take a look at the Co-op Members section of the community.
Ready to join? Explore all of the benefits here.

Hello from Chicago

I'm excited for this community and the potential to make connections. I am a recent-ish transplant here from Florida, currently missing the sunshine and water based activities. I've been camping for as long as I can remember, picked up a love of hiking somewhere along the way and have now been backcountry hiking/camping for the last 4 years. My best friend and I are currently on a quest to visit every National Park. 

Labels (2)
8 Replies

@NicoleH hey and welcome! We're so glad you chose to join our community - just a few days ago, we had another new member introduce themselves from Illinois - @Keeys! You might also check out the Chicago board in our community to see who else is chatting over there!

I spent a few years in the Chicago area while finishing grad school - learned to run in really hot and REALLY cold weather! 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Welcome, @NicoleH - there's a few of us Illinois types here. I'm in the Western 'burbs myself.

It's a great community

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

@NicoleH 

well hello from a little south of Chicago, you should check out one of the newest national parks, Indiana Dunes National Park, about an 1 1/2 hours from Chicago depending what part of Chicago your living at, or you can head south by me and check out Kankakee State Park.

Landscape / Nature Photographer in training
https://hpopik.myportfolio.com/

@Keeys I love the dunes, I actually made it out there within the first couple of weeks of it becoming a National park. I'll have to check out Kankakee, I made a lot of weekend road trips this summer to not get cabin fever in my apartment, but that one didn't end up on this list. 

@NicoleH If you head down here in warmer weather and you don't mind getting your feet wet, hit me up before you go, and I will tell you how to find this little spot, most people don't know about it.

Davis Creek 2 edit.jpg

Landscape / Nature Photographer in training
https://hpopik.myportfolio.com/

Hi @NicoleH and welcome. You must of had a good reason to leave this awesome weather here in Florida. I was just up in your area last week... too cold for me lol.

It was partially a career move, partially for **bleep**s and giggles. Florida is beautiful and warm but, in my opinion, a boring place to live.  

0 Likes

@NicoleH 

LOL...what part of FL were you in? If I had to guess, I'd say panhandle.

0 Likes
Join the community
Other boards in this category