cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Greetings from WV!

Hello everyone! Jourdan from the mountains of WV. Looking to find community through this content and enjoy the outdoors a bit more with the coming snow.

If anyone had tips or information around fun winter activities around the WV/VA region please reach out! Thank you so much!

3 Replies

Hi @Jourdan - Welcome to the community! It sounds like you're in the perfect spot for what you're looking for.

Conversations is a great place to connect with other folks passionate about the outdoors, share local recommendations, and exchange tips/stories/ideas about all kinds of outdoor activities.

It's exciting to hear that you're looking for winter activities to do in West Virginia. I used to live in Huntington and feel like the state has seemingly endless opportunities to roam around outside. I suggest taking a look at Blackwater Falls State Park, which is stunning in the winter. If cross country skiing interests you, the White Grass Ski Touring Center is a ton of fun — don't miss out on the cafe if you go!

@John@Ensinger3@KeithR@BlueRidge@Philreedshikes - Do you all have any winter suggestions from West Virginia or Virginia to share with Jourdan?

-

We're happy to have you here in the community and look forward to seeing you in more conversations going forward. Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Welcome @Jourdan.  Are there any specific winter activities that you are interested in?  Or, are you looking for any and all suggestions?

It has been some time since I was down in that area.  And, that was in the spring.  That whole area around Blackwater Falls, Seneca Rocks, smoke hole and Spruce Knob should have things to do.  I know the Seneca Rocks and Smoke Hole have lots to do outside of winter like the Rock climbing.  Hopefully, one of those folks can give you some specifics.

Enjoy

JohnL

Welcome, Jourdan. I cut my outdoor teeth in West Virginia, from hiking, backpacking, camping, xc-skiing, spelunking, and trad climbing, though I do not still engage in all those activities now. I have lived in Berkeley, Fayette, and Randolph counties but now live in the Northern Panhandle. I am quite familiar with the Monongahela National Forest, which offers some great opportunities for winter sports, but you better have a 4WD or AWD and carry a shovel and tow rope if you want to access some spots in the winter. While the Forest Service closes some roads in winter, the ones left open my not be plowed. Having said that, parts of Dolly Sods are still accessible in the winter, as is all of Otter Creek. Even Spruce Knob can be accessed unless the snow is too deep. The Cranberry Backcountry is also accessible but the Highland Scenic Highway is not plowed. More accessible sites like Black Water Falls, Canaan Valley State Parks have already been mentioned. Of course there are more commercial sites like Timberline and Snowshoe for skiing and snowboarding. Generally speaking, where are you located?

aka "Boonerelli"

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes