cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Greetings From Utah

Greetings everyone,

Fifteen months ago I retired and started to get reacquainted with the outdoors again. With my job I was able to travel the world on a fairly regular basis. While working I devoted myself to triathlons and other outdoor races. I even ran a few races in other countries, like South Africa for one. I was able to enjoy the outdoors with my wife and children fairly well. However, I longed to backpack the AT, CDT, and PCT trails, but could not get enough time to accomplish those goals. Now that I’m retired I fully plan on accomplishing those goals. I am fairly active with the Scouting movement, ever since my sons were a part of it. Now I have 6 (5 boys and 1 girl) of my grandchildren in Scouting, and I’m helping them and their follow Scouts to respect and enjoy the outdoors the way they should.

I love to backpack, hike, and cycle. But most of all I love doing those activities with my family! I love teaching my grandchildren about outdoors skills, wildlife, and conservation. 

I’m a fairly conservative person overall, except when it comes to the outdoors. I’m very adamant about preserving the outdoors and our climate for future generations.  

3 Replies

Welcome to the community.  Hopefully you will get to enjoy your retirement and Scouting with the grandchildren.

I am not sure if you have looked at it or where you grandchildren are in Scouting.  There are the High Adventure bases in Boys Scouts.  And, the oldest primarily aimed at backpacking is Philmont (Philmont Scout Ranch).

Of course, I would imagine there are a good number of places to hike and backpack in Utah.

Enjoy

Thank you JohnL02. Yes, my grandchildren and myself have looked at Philmont, but also the Northern Tier High Adventure Base. 

The summer of 2022 my grandchildren and me are planning on backpacking the Highline Trail in the Uintas which is a 104 mile thru hike.

Again, Thank you for the welcome.

Cheers

That (Highline Trail) sounds like fun.  My sons and I did Philmont in 2017.  The Scout troop they were in did Philmont in 2015 and 2017 (our crew) and Sea base in 2019 (my sons had aged out then).  I thought Northern Tier would be nice.  And the white-water rafting treks at Summit Bechtel looked interesting.

Enjoy

0 Likes