cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Elderly Archaeologist

One of the nice things about oldd age is being able to hobble into the local REI and flashing a very low number.  I have been a member since the early 1960's when I snagged a permanent job with the National Park Service.  Plunked down all of two bucks for  membership, an investment which has turned out very well.

Over the years I have enjoyed hiking, backpacking, caving, cycling, and rock climbing, mostly in Arizona and the Four Corners area.  Stationed in Tucson during the 70s and early 1980s, I renewed my interest in volunteer search and rescue as a member of Southern Arizona Rescue Association.

In 1985, I moved to California, stationed at Channel Islands National Park, retiring in 2001.  I developed an interest in the now extinct pygmy mammoths that once flourished there and I have continued to participate in projects there, and also at the Mammoth Site of Hot Springs, South Dakota, digging there during the summer.

Now in my 80s, I am definitely slowing down, but I strive to be as active as possible.  I still enjoy the outdoors.  Nature is wonderful, whether you are really active or more sedentary.  It is all good!!

13 Replies

Elderly Archaeologist

@hikermor thanks for sharing, and for belonging for so long to the co-op! We are very lucky to have members like you!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Elderly Archaeologist

Belonged since early 70’s so an old guy as well. You career seems as if you got to live the dream!

Elderly Archaeologist

Are you still living near the Channel Islands?

0 Likes

Elderly Archaeologist

Absolutely!  I still get out there once in a while, hunting down fossilized pygmy mammoth and other critters.

not an easy place to visit casually, but well worth the time

0 Likes

Elderly Archaeologist

I live in Camarillo. I haven't been out to the islands in several years, but still hike locally. I also love to learn about the geology and history of the places I hike. I am also a fan of astronomy and geocaching. (Just thinking I better introduce myself to everyone here. Been on these conversations for a few weeks and haven't done that yet!) Maybe when this craziness is over we can meet up for a short hike.

0 Likes

Elderly Archaeologist

So, @hikermor ,  are you really an archaeologist, or is it a hobby?  I ask because my daughter is studying archaeology in England, and will officially be one upon graduation this year.  She's participated in noteworthy digs in England, and in Egypt.  I joined her in a volunteer capacity at a local dig in Annapolis, MD last year.  It can be tedious, but really cool when you discover something.

0 Likes

Elderly Archaeologist

Sorry for being so late on this response.   I am (WAS?)  a professional digger. but, truth to tell, one regret is that i did not pursue a doctorate. The NPS beckoned, and my first intention was to transfer to, say, Grand Teton , and get involved in SAR.  Things turned out differently and I can't complain- I got lots of SAR activity .

I  totally agree with your assessment of the field - some days are quite unremarkable, except for the amount of dirt you acquire.  But then there are those other days.  I have some good war stories...

0 Likes

Elderly Archaeologist

No worries about the late response.  I have no doubt that you have plenty of good stories!  Good to hear from you!

0 Likes

Elderly Archaeologist

@hikermor Howdy Elderly Archaeologist,  What a great Bio!  I'm glad your still so active.  Hope you have a wonderful summer.

0 Likes